Monday, February 2, 2009

Dear America series...class discussion

In class on Wednesday, we'll be discussing one of the Dear America books:

Turner, Ann
The Girl Who Chased Away Sorrow
The Diary of Sarah Nita, a Navajo Girl
New Mexico, 1864
Dear America Series
Scholastic, 1999
194 pages, b/w photos
grades 4-7

Click here for a critique of the book by Oyate, "a Native organization working to see that our lives and histories are portrayed honestly, and so that all people will know our stories belong to us. For Indian children, it is as important as it has ever been for them to know who they are and what they come from. For all children, it is time to know and acknowledge the truths of history. Only then will they come to have the understanding and respect for each other that now, more than ever, will be necessary for life to continue."

The Oyate website is an excellent resource!

1 comment:

  1. Are you bringing in the Dear America book, if so are you bringing in a couple of them? I think I have read them in the past but can not remember. If so I think these are the books that I find most interesting because they are suppose to be like journals from the past about different children in different cultures and pasts. If I am wrong then I will have to bring in the books I am thinking about and share them with the class.

    ReplyDelete