Friday, January 30, 2009

In conversation with Dr. Debbie Reese

I just had to make a post about this because I simply can't wait to tell you about this!

I emailed Debbie Reese to ask her our class question about descriptors/terms/names to use (e.g. Native American or American Indian). She emailed me back right away and pointed me to a spot on her blog that reads: American Indian? Or, Native American? There is no agreement among Native peoples. Both are used. It is best to be specific. Example: Instead of "Debbie Reese, a Native American," say "Debbie Reese, a Nambe Pueblo Indian woman."

She also said, and this is the really exciting part, that she'd be more than willing to be in conversation with us about the topic of American Indians in Children's/YA Lit. Super cool eh?!

She welcomes responses to her chapter (1997) that we read for this past week and/or any other questions we might have for her. I know that some of you said you really enjoyed reading her chapter; others of you wrote down questions/concerns. Please do take her up on this offer - her email is: debreese@illinois.edu. What a wonderful opportunity for all of us!

5 comments:

  1. This sounds really cool because I think I can get some much information right from her. I went back and went over the chapter we had to read and want to ask her so many questions that I don't know which one to pick. Thanks for the contact information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How neat! That's so great that authors are so willing to help us out in our discussions. I think that would be fun if we got her involved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is cool! I really liked her response about being specific in regards to how you call someone because not only does it solve the issue of what term to use, but it also serves as a constant reminder that Native Americans are not all one large homogenous group.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is wonderful that she got back to you so soon! I really appreciate her response about being specific when specifying someones background or ethnicity. I have found that what people prefer really depends on an individual basis. By being specific, it helps prevent any arguments or controversy about what you call someone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so exciting! I think her response about being specific as to the tribe and such when referring to someone of Native American (or American Indian) descent. This will help prevent offending anyone who is sensitive about being called by the wrong ethnicity. It is so exciting that she responded so fast!

    ReplyDelete